Latest News

“Aussie Woman Accused of Killing with Death Cap Mushrooms!

On Wednesday, a 46 year-old Australian woman was charged with the murder of two people who are believed to have died from eating poisonous death cap mushrooms. A third person has been hospitalized. The charges stem from an incident that occurred in Canberra on New Year’s Day 2021. Two of the woman’s friends ate mushrooms, which were picked from a local park, and soon after, all three people began to experience symptoms of food poisoning. One of the two victims, a 31 year-old man, died in a local hospital while a 36 year-old woman, also a friend, died at home. Investigations conducted by local authorities determined that the mushrooms had been picked from the park and doctors state that the symptoms of the poisoning were consistent those that come from the death cap mushrooms. The woman facing the charges has been released on bail and is scheduled to appear in court for a hearing on April 2021. Death cap mushrooms contain the poisonous compound amatoxin and the toxin can cause severe abdominal pain, vomiting and profuse diarrhea. In a few cases, the damage to liver and kidney tissues can result in death. For this reason, it is very important to research and identify mushrooms properly before harvesting or consuming them. The Australian Geographic Society has warned against eating wild mushrooms, as death cap mushrooms can easily be mistaken for edible varieties. The incident has generated national media attention and serves as a reminder of the importance of properly identifying and researching wild mushrooms. In addition, it serves as a tragic reminder that consuming poisonous mushrooms can have deadly consequences.

You may also like