Collingwood has announced its punishment for Jordan De Goey over his mid-season Bali trip scandal.
Videos emerged last week of the superstar midfielder-forward partying in Bali while on his mid-season break. In one video he attempts to pull down a woman’s top.
The Magpies on Tuesday announced a suspended $25,000 fine, which will hang over his head until the end of this season.
There is no suspension involved in the penalty. The AFL supported Collingwood’s decision and will not impose its own penalty on De Goey.
“Our club’s very strong position is that disrespect towards women, in any form, is never acceptable and we strongly condemn it,” Collingwood CEO Mark Anderson said.
“Jordan’s actions shown in the vision shared on social media are actions we do not accept as a football club, and we are extremely disappointed to see him put himself in this position.
“We have spoken to Jordan at length, and he understands the seriousness of the situation.”
It’s not the first time – this year, even – De Goey has been punished for off-field matters.
The AFL penalised him for contrary conduct after he was charged – charges that were later dismissed – for an altercation in a New York club.
On Tuesday, the 26-year-old promised to continue his personal development.
“The actions shown in the video footage are disrespectful and I accept that I have betrayed the trust the club showed in me by allowing me to take my mid-season break overseas,” De Goey said.
“I fully accept that as an AFL player, I have a unique leadership role in the community and with that role comes responsibility.
“My actions have fallen short of the standards expected of me as a person, as an AFL footballer and as a representative of the Collingwood Football Club.
“I had worked hard this year to establish trust and confidence in me to make better decisions and through no one’s fault but my own, I have undone that trust.
“Late last year, I was diagnosed with ADHD and I am trying to become more aware of why I make mistakes that I do. I have again made a mistake – this is an ongoing journey for me – and I remain absolutely committed to changing.
“I will be seeking further support to take the appropriate and necessary steps to learn and improve as a person.”
Meanwhile, Collingwood players Jack Ginnivan and Isaac Quaynor have publicly apologised for a TikTok video that sparked controversy.
“We did a trend that we did not think about before posting,” Quaynor said.
“We’re really sorry for making the mistake of participating in it and then posting it.
“We’ve since realised it isn’t acceptable, and it doesn’t align with the values that both of us hold.”
For a daily dose of the best of the breaking news and exclusive content from Wide World of Sports, subscribe to our newsletter by clicking here!